The Danish Association of Chartered Estate Agents (DE)
Was formed in 1912. The purpose of DE is to safeguard the members' (i.e. the Danish estate agents) business interests. The number of members amounted, as of December 2011, to 3.070 estate agents, which is approximately 94% of all practising Danish estate agents. The members are either owner of an estate agency or employed in such a business. There are approximately 1,500 estate agencies in Denmark.
The association consists of eight local associations, each of which has an independent board and chairman. The association's leadership is in the hands of the Meeting of Delegates, the Board of Directors and the Board of Local Chairmen. The supreme authority of the association is in the hands of the Meeting of Delegates, and the National President and the Board of Directors are elected at this annual meeting, which normally takes place in the month of May. The Board of Directors is responsible for the management of the association and appoints the Chief Executive Officer, who is responsible for the daily management of the secretariat. The Board of Local Chairmen forms a link between the local associations and the Board of Directors.
The Danish Association of Chartered Estate Agents
- negotiates with public authorities, including the Danish Parliament, regarding all matters concerning the members
- represents the members in boards, tribunals and committees
- is the spokesman of the members towards government and the public and co-operates with other associations
- is responsible for courses and other educational activities towards the members
- is responsible for the provision of liability insurance and financial guarantee for the members towards consumers (each estate agent is by law required to establish a financial guarantee worth 2,5 million Danish Kroner - approximately 325,000 $ - as indemnity towards consumers)
- provides law courts with expert opinions regarding property matters
- seeks to enhance professional loyalty between its members
- sets rules of business ethic within the real estate industry
- is financially responsible for the running of a public Complaint Board, where consumers can complain over estate agents (this Board is established between the Danish Consumers' Board, The Danish House Owners Association and DE and deals with approximately 300 complaints annually)
- is responsible for the publication of the monthly magazine "Ejendomsmægleren"
- is responsible for the wording of all standard documents in connection with buying and selling of houses in Denmark
- provides its members with "hot-line" support as far as property matters and IT is concerned
- is responsible for the following 3 websites: www.de.dk (the association's website) www.boligsiden.dk (the largest Danish database with approximately 33,000 houses for sale and approximately 1.000,000 unique users per month) and www.oline.dk (the largest Danish database for commercial real estate for sale or for rent)
- DE is a founding member of EPAG and CEPI
- DE is a founding member of ICREA and affiliated with NAR
- DE is a founding member of NEU (The Nordic Association of Estate Agents' Associations)
- DE is a principal member of the Danish Chapter of FIABCI
- DE is member of TEGoVA